Establishing Michigan Child Support

248-484-6126 (Fax)

Newsletter Signup

Child Support is money one parent pays to help meet a kid’s needs when the parent is not living with that kid.

A Petition for Child Support is filed between legal parents to obtain a court order requiring the absent parent to pay child support for his/her minor child/ren. An absent parent is defined as any parent who does not reside in the custodial home with the minor children.

Petitions for child support are filed on behalf of a third party custodian, who has the physical care and custody of the minor child/ren, against the absent parents.

The parties are considered legal parents when a child is either born during a marriage or paternity has been established.

Upon receiving a referral from the Michigan Department of Human Services, DHS, the prosecutor’s staff provides services to obtain child support, medical support, and child care support orders.

Referrals to the prosecutor’s office is initiated by an individual primarily raising the child who will sign up for IV-D services by requesting certain types of public assistance, such as cash assistance, food assistance, Medicaid, or Child Day Care.

"How To Video"
Modifying Child Support

Family Law Attorney
Randy Pitler of
Michigan Divorce Helper

If paternity has not been established at the time of the IV-D referral, the prosecutor’s office will contact the testing laboratory to arrange for collection and testing of DNA samples from the alleged father, the child, and the mother.

Custody and parenting time provisions are typically addressed in Child Support orders, but the prosecutor’s staff does not handle custody or parenting time actions nor does the prosecutor’s staff advocate on those issues. If the parties cannot agree on custody and parenting time provisions during the course of an action involving the prosecutor’s office, a referral will usually be made to the FOC for conciliation services.

When grandparents, aunts, uncles, or others have guardianship over a minor child, the prosecutor’s staff will pursue child support from both parents, if appropriate, upon referral from DHS.

If the absent parent lives outside of Michigan and does not have sufficient ties to Michigan for a local support order, an interstate case may be initiated to the state where the absent parent lives, asking the other state to establish the child support order. Establishment of paternity may also be requested of the other state, if appropriate.
Kids Need Both Parents!

Michigan Child Support | Child Support Calculator | Child Support History
Modifying Child Support | Paying Child Support | Child Support Analysis

Home | About Us | Get Involved | Resources & Services | Coming Events
© Dads And Moms Of Michigan 1998 - 2015